[MPlayer-users] mplayer screen snapshots

Sycotic Smith sycotic at linuxmail.org
Tue Sep 9 19:47:48 CEST 2003

> Try:
> import pic.jpg

> > Hi,
> >
> > I find mplayer great, but I'm currently missing 1 feature: to make a
> > snapshot of currently displayed picture by pressing a key, it would
> > generate a file e.g. snapshot_xxx.jpg where xxx would iterate
> > automatically after each use.
> >
> > best regards,
> >
> > --
> > Mag.Samuel Kvasnica

I have been thinking about this for some time actually, but never thought it should be a part of mplayer until now, this post gave me a new idea.

As mplayer stands right now, it has several vo's that can handle this already, eg jpeg, gif89a, png, tga, etc. and it would be useful to be able to capture 1 frame no matter which vo you are using.

Here is my idea: Use the cmdline stl 'mplayer -vo x11 file.avi -grabber=png' and bind a key (like 's' for snapshot) that when pressed captures the frame as a png.  Of course this would probably over-complicate matters, since you would have to convert cs on-the-fly if it's not the same, but AFAIR this can be done with SWS and/or vf scale.  I have no way of implementing this myself, this is just my thoughts, since we have been getting alot of requests for stlt recently.

/S. Smith