[MPlayer-users] Problems encoding interlaced DVD

Chris Phillips xhrisphillips at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 6 14:50:19 CEST 2003

Hi Guys,

I am trying to rip and encode a DVD, but having
problems with the interlacing.

Ripping the DVD works fine (using vobcopy). Simple
playing with mplayer shows bad interlacing, but the
-vf pullup option fixed the problem OK.

My problems start when I try and encode to mpeg4. If I
do three pass encoding, using the normal options:

cat *.vob | mencoder -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac
mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -alang en -

cat *.vob | mencoder -oac copy -o /dev/null -ovc lavc
-lavcopts mpeg4:vbitrate=850:vhq:vpass=1 -

cat *.vob | mencoder -oac copy -o dvd.avi -ovc lavc
-lavcopts mpeg4:vbitrate=850:vhq:vpass=2  -

The quality is pretty poor. It looks like it is the
interlaced video not encoding well (slow stuff looks
OK but anything moving quickly shows very bad effects
obviously from the interlacing).

When I use the  -vf ivtc=1 options, the video quality
is fine, but the video playback is too fast (and not
synchronized to audio). The option -ofps 23.976  does
not seem to help.

I am using both these options for the 2nd and 3rd
pass.

Should I be doing this differently?

On a slightly different tack - for a fix bitrate (say
850 kbps) do I get best quality on screen and/or on
Tvout leaving the video size as 720 x 576 or scaling
to 640x480?

Regards
Chris Phillips

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search