[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Sep 5 16:04:40 CEST 2003

Benjamin Pineau wrote:
> That's (yet another) linux-centric sight.
Funny thing is, of my half-dozen machines, only one runs Linux.  I'm
very much a BSD-er.

> NVidia drivers for freebsd are still very buggy.
Really?  Then I've been incredibly lucky.  They have worked, first
time/every time on FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8, and 5.1 for me.

> The port for netbsd is
> worst. And inexistant for OpenBSD
Wouldn't know about NetBSD, but I'm well aware that OpenBSD has no
support.  It could be ported from the NetBSD version if necessary.  Even
if not, there's still the 'nv' driver.

(and what to say about bsdi, solaris
> for x86, .... ?).
> And no, the xfree driver isn't enough ...
Quite true, but I'm talking about the lesser of two evils.  ATI's
drivers barely work, for the most basic functions of the card, and you
can forget about anything "fancy" like TV-out, TV-in, hardware
acceleration, etc.

At least with Nvidia, it is fully function on Linux and FreeBSD x86 (and
since the FreeBSD driver is something like 90% source, I wouldn't be
surprised if it could be made to work with non-x85 systems.  Yeah, it's
not a great situation, but what better options are there?  I'd certainly
like to know!