[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Sep 4 11:21:46 CEST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 4. September 2003 10:17 schrieb Fabio Papa:

> Sorry to burst into this at this point, but I'm preparing a PC for a
> friend which has a GeForce, and I wanted to know if there is really the
> need for the proprietary drivers. For now I'm using the standard nv
> driver that comes with XFree 4.3. Is there a real gain from using the
> proprietary ones? Thanks!

The nv driver from XF 4.3 is quite slow at 2-D. With the Nvidia driver
menues and complex webpages feel snappier.

I would try the drivers from nvidia.com and only if those don't work [they
will work ;-) ] use the nv driver.

The nvidia driver gives you 3D, fast 2D, TV-out, Overscan, TwinView, XvMC,
nice update feature (nvidia-installer --update) and a comprehensive
documentation of all features and XF86Config options.

   Matthias