[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Thu Sep 4 10:17:37 CEST 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 08:04, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> How long ago did you try an NVidia card? The proprietary driver has
> improved greatly over the last year or two. It's far from perfect, but I
> rarely run into bugs any more. Also, the Free driver in X does
> accelerated XVideo on modern cards now, so you may not even have to use
> the proprietary ones. I can't, since I have an old Vanta card. I also
> don't know whether the Free one does TV out.
Sorry to burst into this at this point, but I'm preparing a PC for a friend
which has a GeForce, and I wanted to know if there is really the need for the
proprietary drivers. For now I'm using the standard nv driver that comes with
XFree 4.3. Is there a real gain from using the proprietary ones?
Thanks!