[MPlayer-users] best graphical card for mplayer

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Wed Sep 3 22:29:55 CEST 2003

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:43:14 +0200
"liane d'ambre" <liane at ecocentre.org> wrote:

> I am about to buy a new graphical card for my putter and i want to know
> what is the best choice from the mplayer-user view.
> I work under linux and use mplayer fairly often.
> But it seems like no "modern card" are supported, I hope i'm wrong.
> Please send me name of modern graphical card IE agp 8X that are well
> reconise by linux and get graphical accelaration and all the stuff.

At the moment, i'd say either a Matrox G550 or one of the
supported ATI cards (ie one that is a bit older than those
which the game kiddies buy).
Personaly i'd go for the Matrox as they tend to have
the better picture than other cards (though i've not
seen any newer ATI card, so i cant say anything about
their picture quality).
Something that you should definitly not buy is an
nvidia based card. Both their image quality and
their driver support is poor.

		Attila Kinali

--
Chu beyond the blackest chu, Deeper then the deepest pika, King of pikachu who
shines like gold on the sea of electric. I call upon thee, swear myself to thee,