[MPlayer-users] Re: Mpeg2 encoding results

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Sep 3 09:23:29 CEST 2003

Nico wrote:
> First a premise: I don't consider this comparison a  competition between
> xvid and lavc (which would also be unfair, since xvid compresses more
> that lavc's mpeg2), but only
> a chance to show what I consider imperfections in the current lavc's
> outcome, so please let's avoid
> flames. .

MPlayer uses lavc and XviD just as well, so flames would indeed be
silly. I could imagine heated discusssions on the ffmpeg and XviD lists,
but here, there shouldn't be too much bias. I'm interested in how to get
the best quality encodings for a given bitrate, so fair comparisons are
always good. Hopefully, that should be the general sentiment.

I've struggled with the problem of grey blocks. In particular, I encoded
"Enemy at the Gates," which has lots of dark grey and brown tones. Even
using a target size of 1600MiB (0.26 bpp), I wasn't able to get rid of
the visible grey blocks, especially in cloudy shots (I know, that's an
even bigger problem). I encoded one scene about six times with different
lavc options as well as XviD, but it never improved much. The blocking
looked a little different when encoded with XviD, but not appreciably
better. I got the impression that the encoders weren't effectively
dealing with the fact that the average brightness of the frames was
lower than a typical movie. Maybe the brightness model of the encoders
is more absolute than human vision.

Jonathan Rogers