[MPlayer-users] mencode mpeg1 or mpeg2 (vcd/svcd) howto?

Leonard Tulipan l.tulipan at mpwi.at
Tue Sep 2 16:52:48 CEST 2003

Hi!
I am a long-time fan of mplayer
I am using version 0.91 on mandrake 9.1

I recently tried encoding with mencoder. what I came up with sofar (for
vcd - mpeg1) is
# Audio Extraction
mplayer -ao pcm -aofile temp.wav -vo null -vc null -hardframedrop $1
# Encode audio to mp2
mp2enc -b 224 -o audio.mpeg2 <temp.wav >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
# Encode picture and copy audio
mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152
-oac copy -audiofile audio.mpeg2  -vop scale=352:240 $1 -o output.mpg
# Alternately don't use audio-options and try to multiplex afterwards
#mplex -f 4 -V -o output.mpg temp.mpg audio.mpeg2

But both methods don't produce a valid mpg file. So my questions would
be

1) How can I produce a valid mpg file with mencoder
2) How can I extract just the video out of a mencoder-generated mpg
(demultiplex) to .m1v or .m2v files (just video)

Thanks for any help you can gice me.

Cheers
Leonard