[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with playing mpeg2 files smoothly - Kernel upgrade

mgrim.freeler.nl mgrim at freeler.nl
Tue Sep 2 10:19:21 CEST 2003

Hi,

>> I think that there must be a problem with the Kernel
>> when trying to use hdparm since I am getting:
>>
>>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

> Try it logged in as root...

Won't work (have tried this). I believe the problem lies in the fact that
the kernel is configured without DMA support. Look at the .config file in
/usr/src/linux. There must be something with IDEDMA (or something). This
should be =y. If it is not, I think you either need to recompile your kernel
with DMA support turned on, or you could get a new kernel in which the DMA
is set correctly already (this was my choice).

Regards,

Martin