[MPlayer-users] Re: Shockwave Flash codecs/specs

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Sep 2 07:53:45 CEST 2003

rcooley wrote:
> Umm, I wasn't putting-down the GPLed flash library, just letting
> everyone know that it's only up to v3.  Frankly, I despise flash, and
> have almost no interest in it, what-so-ever, so I'm definately not the
> guy to work on updating it.

I don't despise Flash itself, just how it is normally (ab)used and that
it is proprietary. Specifically, it is almost invariably used to replace
web pages with unnecessary embellishments. However, the capabilities of
Flash could be quite useful for some purposes, like the one in question.

Supposedly, a combination of SVG, SMIL, and several other open standards
could provide the same capabilities, but I'm not holding my breath.
Before such standards are widely implemented, a Free implentation of
Flash could be very useful if it kept up with the proprietary one. In
the last point lies the difficulty. I'm sure the Wine and Samba
developers could tell us about that.

Jonathan Rogers