[MPlayer-users] quantizers in divx2pass with CVS mencoder/lavc

HR haavroed at online.no
Wed Oct 29 16:24:13 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of D
> Richard Felker III
[...]
> > the quantizers now seem to be listed as an integer in a 3
> digit range or
[...]
> Divide the new numbers by 128 to get the mpeg4-style quantizers.
Are quantizers floats? Or are the new numbers being rounded before being
"used"? Again, not that it matters, but my curiosity was lit getting
values like 327, 479, 236 and so on... I do believe I had integers only
in the 2-pass log before.

> > Which is better (besides using my eyes...); considering the
> quantizers
> > or the PSNR?
>
> PSNR should be better.
Are there any guides or tests describing what PSNR range (ie. within
which SNR band some "majority" of frames should lie within) is "bad",
"acceptable" or "good" for various types of material (DVD, TVgrab,
cartoon/animation,...)? Noticed some rough, general PSNR values in a
recent posting, but I'd really enjoy studying something a little more
comprehensive...

HR