[MPlayer-users] Mencoder: are the displayed bitrates accurate?

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Mon Oct 27 15:40:32 CET 2003

I would like to encode with a given maximal video bitrate (say 2500
kbps), what mencoder with a 2-pass run seems to perform without problems
(all bitrate values displayed during the encoding process are below this
threshold). However, if the resulting AVI or MPEG is loaded into
avidemux2 (which has a nice bitrate histogram tool), this latter shows
that some frames are apparently encoded with much higher kbps values
than 2500.

My question is: which program is right and which one wrong? Is mencoder
taking into account all the possible frame types (e.g. I, P, B frames)
when displaying the kbps values? Or is it some kind of averaged value?

My idea is to measure the bitrate with other software, to know which
values are correct. I was told to try bitrate viewer (for windows), do
you know other utilities able to show the per-frame bitrate of a file?

Levente