[MPlayer-users] Can't find VIDIX driver...

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Oct 27 08:03:02 CET 2003

Plaz McMan wrote:
> I just installed mplayer on my Linux box (RH9 w/GeForce FX 5200 graphics
> card), and using software rendering works fine. When I try to switch to
> hardware rendering (VIDIX), I get an error message telling me it can't find
> any drivers.

The nvidia vidix driver is really new, and hasn't yet been extended to
handle some classes of cards, such as the NV28 (which I have) or the
NV34 (which you have). If you want to see what is currently supported,
download the source tarball for 1.0pre2 or current CVS, and look in
/vidix/drivers/nvidia_vid.c (look near the top; line 70 in current CVS).

For now, you can get pretty-darned-good hardware overlay and scaling
with xv; that shouldn't be a problem.
$ mplayer somefile.avi -vo xv

-Corey