[MPlayer-users] ati mach 64 and redhat 7.1

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Oct 24 21:50:10 CEST 2003

On Friday, 24 October 2003, Bret Hughes wrote:
> I have been working with mplayer and have been able to script the
> playing of an small mpeg(20MB) movie.  However when I scale it I see
> that it chews up all the cpu on my 700Mhz duron.  I assum this is due to
> the software scaling that is occuring since afaics, Xvideo is not
> availible.
>
> I have read and reread the docs and currently believe that I will need
> to get Xvideo working inorder to off load the scaling to the video card.
>
> Is this correct?  I found a howto on compiling DRI and gatos (I think
> through the mplayer docs but maybe not)  Before I launch down this path
> I thought I would ask if this is the right move.

No need to compile, just download the precompiled binaries from GATOS
website. Be sure to use the version appropriate for your XFree version.
I'd also suggest upgrading to RedHat 7.3. I used to have a Duron 700 with
ATI 3D Rage Pro (Mach64GT) and it worked like charm with GATOS drivers.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/