[MPlayer-users] LAVC-MPEG4 vs DIVX4 vs XVID??

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 22 12:47:02 CEST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Matthias Wieser wrote:

>> mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -skiplimit 0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>> vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:trell:mbd=2:vmax_b_frames=1:v4mv:vb_strategy=0:vlelim=
>>0:vcelim=0:cmp=2:subcmp=2:precmp=2:predia=1:dia=1:vme=4
>
>This command gives the best psnr for your testcase.

Correct.

>This command does surely not give the best looking results

Impossible to say. I can not judge every option manually, but I am
quite convinced that PSNR correlates with subjective quality quite well
although not perfectly: subjectively PSNR 36.02 might look worse than PSNR
36.01 but I'm definite that PSNR 35.5 would also look worse than either of
the first two. In summary: maybe not the best looking results but close
enough.

>This command does surely not give the best results for jj2dog's (?)
>testcase.

If you know what options will, let me know =) Until somebody suggests
better options (and also gives some justification why they're better), I
would recommend mine.