[MPlayer-users] Error compiling MPlayer with latest Matroska CVS

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 19:12:11 CEST 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I'm presently having major problems with my package-management
>> system (as a partial fix of which I've gone through a major
>> upgrade, including I think gcc and possibly libc6 - though nothing
>> else has broken),
>
> Try the usual thingies in this case, meaning:
>
> a) Remove all traces of the current libebml, libmatroska installation
> including libs, include files, sources.

My first reaction upon seeing the error was to distclean and try it
again; my second was to update from CVS both libebml (no change) and
libmatroska (trivial changes). Neither of these had any effect.

I'm currently removing everything I know to be installed by either - but
I don't think I understand why I'd need to remove my sources, as I can
say with certainty that they have not changed (aside from via CVS
update) since the last successful compile.

> b) Make sure that there are no old files left, e.g. "find / -name
> 'Kax*' -o -name '*matroska*'" should come up empty.

Can't really do that on my current setup, as I've got a network drive
mounted which I really don't want to mount but I've got no way to tell
find "don't look under this path"; replacing the "/" in that command
with all vaguely relevant-seeming things in the root directory turns up
nothing.

> c) Same for mplayer.

Er. I'm reluctant to do this, as my existing copy of MPlayer seems to
still work fine, and I don't want to risk losing what I've already got
without very good reason. The same questions about sources as above
apply here as well.

> d) Get fresh versions of libebml, libmatroska. Compile, install them.
> Don't forget to run ldconfig.

Doesn't "make install" usually run that anyway?

> e) Get a fresh version of mplayer. Configure, compile them.

Again, since the only things which have changed under my copy of the
MPlayer source tree since my last successful compile are the result of
CVS update, I don't see why removing and re-grabbing the tree entirely
would be necessary.

--
       The Wanderer