[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding for quicktime player

Christoph Nägeli chn at kbw.ch
Sun Oct 19 18:01:11 CEST 2003

Hi,

Actually there are some codecs you can use.
I'm not quite sure about the QuickTime player for Windows but if you
use a Mac:

I personally like xvid, but mpeg4 from libavcodec is nice, too.
The exported fileformat should be avi.

The QuickTime player has some problems correctly importing avi files.
You can fix this by installing the free divx codec
(http://www.divx.com) which comes with an own avi
importer or you can just convert the avi file to a mov file (using
DivxDoctor (http://doctor.3ivx.com/download.html), that one is free,
too).

Decoding the imag can be done either by the 3ivx component (should
decode mpeg4 simple and advanced simple profile though I've had some
problems decoding some movies created with a xvid (cvs build...)).
If you prefer opensource, there is someone that implemented an image
decompressor using libavcodec (I can't remeber the address).
I downloaded his codec some time ago (he had a link at the apple
homepage).

Hope this helps.
Christoph