[MPlayer-users] How to encode the middle part of a file?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sun Oct 19 11:00:25 CEST 2003

> try using -sb <bytepos>, it works for me.

Well that stops the crash, but I lose the audio...

I realised why -ss was failing though - I used "mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy"
to convert the MPEG transport stream into an AVI, however mplayer cannot seek
through that AVI file (it just quits when you try to seek) so I think that's
why mencoder failed too.

I tried the original transport stream and -ss does work, but unfortunately it
drops frames in the first few seconds of encoding, which means I can't get a
frame-accurate cut without losing subsequent frames over the following few
seconds.

I can't see any easy way around this, so I might try some mpeg-cut tools to
cut the input file to the correct size and hope mencoder will process that
without dropping frames.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!

Thanks for your help,
Adam.