[MPlayer-users] Unsupported development in AVI files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Oct 19 05:07:34 CEST 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>> These files come from the same source as those which I earlier
>> mentioned as having a weird seeking problem;
>
> This is due to the fact that AVIMux GUI normally only writes an
> OpenDML index and no legacy index unless told otherwise. mplayer does
> not support OpenDML AVIs at the moment.

Interesting.

Does this, then, explain the flood of error messages produced when
playing some (but not all) of those files with the -idx flag?

I thought at first that this wouldn't explain why MEncoder can
apparently parse the files without trouble, since the results of
transcoding have no difficulty, but after a little thought I can see
where it does explain it after all. I still don't see how the problem,
and hence presumably the different index, remains when not transcoding
but merely using -ovc copy; does MEncoder not in fact write its own
index when doing so, and if not, how does that make sense?

Is this also the (sole) reason why MPlayer cannot handle the relevant
subtitles, either? Or is that a completely unrelated issue?

--
       The Wanderer