[MPlayer-users] Changing cmode and vmode with fbdev

Steven Schlansker steven at fgsoft.net
Sun Oct 19 03:21:23 CEST 2003

I'm using a Performa 6360, with a Valkyrie on-board framebuffer device.

I just finished compiling and installing MPlayer 1.0pre-2.  I'm now
trying to play a video file, and I can't get it to work.

mplayer -vo fbdev myfile.avi

spits out a bunch of output which looks ok until:

VO: [fbdev] 320x240 => 320x240 BGR 24-bit
Can't put VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument.
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

It then spews a thing saying that it was interrupted by signal 11 and
that it crashed, and shouldn't, and so on.

Then I found fbdev2.

mplayer -vo fbdev2 myfile.avi

It then starts printing a few variations of the same error messages,
filling up the screen with lines like these:

valkyrie_var_to_par: cmode 2 not supported.
[fbdev2] Can't put VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument.
valkyrie_var_to_par: vmode 17 does not support cmode 1
valkyrie_var_to_par: 1024x768x132 unsuccessful.

I'm using vmode 17 and cmode 16 as part of the kernel options, so I'd
assume that this would work here too); how do I specify this to
MPlayer?  The manpage/documentation mentioned something about
/etc/fb.modes, but I have no such file or even anything starting with
fb.  My card is so old, it doesn't support 1024x768, and definitely not
132 bit color (this doesn't sound right, though.  132 bit color?)

Please CC all replies to me; I don't want to join this list (too much
email which I neither care about nor am able to help with)

Thanks for any and all help,
Steven Schlansker