[MPlayer-users] Unsupported development in AVI files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 23:07:11 CEST 2003

Put briefly: there is now a program which will write soft subtitles in
an AVI container. (I suspect that this is insane, but it's still true.)
I have six files (all from the same source) which were created with this
program. People under Windows report being able to toggle subtitle
display as normal, but MPlayer does not display them; I've tried -sid
from 0 through 9, just in case, and nothing comes up.

These files come from the same source as those which I earlier mentioned
as having a weird seeking problem; they have a variant of the same
problem, the only difference being that adding an index before seeking
does not result in a flood of text error messages (the visual problems
remain).

The program in question, from what I've been told, is AVIMux
==
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Video-Zeug/AVIMux%20GUI/index-eng.html
==
That page (the official site AFAICT, linked to from Doom9.org) reports
that replaying subtitles in the AVIs requires VSFilter 2.27; version
2.29 is available at
==
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
==
That project is Win32 only, and has many other subprojects as well. I
don't see anything in the changelogs for recent versions which seems
related to AVI-soft-subtitle support; the changes seem mostly related to
Matroska.

I can provide samples of up to eight AVIs which appear to have soft
subtitles of this form; all of them have the seeking issue I posted
about earlier, though to my knowledge only two of them produce the flood
of error messages I described when seeking with -idx, and one of those
seems much less severe than the other.

I feel very much as though I've left things out, even considering the
'mplayer -v' log I gave with a previous post; if there's any information
I've omitted, feel free to ask, though I don't guarantee I'll be able to
provide it.

--
       The Wanderer