[MPlayer-users] Re: PSNR tests: mbd=2, mv0, trell, and cbp (and...

Sat Oct 18 10:13:43 CEST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, rcooley wrote:

r>> Try mpeg_quant. You'll get the same type of artifacts as mpeg1/2
r>> instead of h263/mpeg4, but with all the compression benefits of mpeg4.
r>Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the
r>mpeg_quant would make the video act more like MPEG2, picking up more of
r>the fine details.  Where as h263 would drop fine details (not enough to
r>make it comparable to MPEG1).

Hm? You are telling that artifacts in mpeg1 and mpeg2 differ more than
in mpeg1 & mpeg4? I think that artifacts in mpeg1&2 are pretty much the
same.

If you are talking about non-interlaced (or telecined) video in half
resolution and average bitrates, there is almost no difference between
mpeg1 and 2, just that mpeg1 is more compatible. Mpeg2 kicks in on high
resolution/high bitrates or when some kind of interlacing occurs.

2 Rich: thanks for the advice, it sounds interesting...

--

Vladimir