[MPlayer-users] Mencoded Xvid AVIs are not playable......SOLVED!

guardian at skip.cz guardian at skip.cz
Sat Oct 18 00:09:35 CEST 2003

Corey wrote:

 > Without personally being able to say anything definite about your
 > encoding options, I would recommend that you use the ffdshow codec
 > package with windows. DivX 5 doesn't support nearly as many mpeg-4
 > features as libavcodec does, and can have problems decoding.

Yes - thats it! When i am under windows testing (using) ffdshow codec,
the lavc-Divx-MPEG4 videos are now playable without player-shutdown and
without random 5-seconds-long video fragmentation. (theres a small cosmetic
bug - in the right-bellow ((in the black picture area)) is flashing 5
centimeters long green rectangle....but its only cosmetic defect).
Thanks to Corey for help! (i thing, this is enlightement for us-all).
Yes, divx is now playing under windows, but Xvid is still poorly
playable (with any-ffdshow/xvid codec). I am newly discovered this:
30 sec sample (from absolute begin ((time zero)) of any VOB file) with
VBR lame
audio is NOT playable (audio yes, video no).
30 sec sample (from same VOB file ((e.g. position beginning from 60 and
ending
 at 90 second)) with same parameters is playable.....strange......but
sample beginning
at time zero - is unplayable.......
Xvid video sample with CBR audio (e.g. 112kbits) taken from any part of VOB
seems to be playable anytime. When i crack this nut, i drop report here.
Guardian.