[MPlayer-users] SBC with mencoder

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Oct 17 20:11:37 CEST 2003

Gianci wrote:
> Is it possible to enable some sort of Smart Bitrate Control with mpeg4
> codec of lavc ?
>
> I guess that one should use the "vrc_eq" option.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks to all.

As far as I can tell, "SBC" is just a method of making the old DivX 3
codec properly use VBR encoding. Lavc MPEG-4 already does this very
well; make sure to always use 2-pass encoding, though, for best results.

You can easily tweak several aspects of lavc's ratecontrol without going
so far as to define a new ratecontrol equation.

If you're just looking for better quality in general, take a look at
DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt

-Corey