[MPlayer-users] Re: which deinterlace filter

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Fri Oct 17 08:37:49 CEST 2003

rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> writes:

>> PAL is technically much superior to NTSC (much more resolution, much
>> better color, not that stange framerates of 30000/1001, etc).
> Not really true.  While PAL does have a slightly higher resolution, it
> makes up for it by having a significantly lower fram rate.  I really
> wouldn't consider a nominally higher resolution an improvement, since a
> lot of that signal is discarded anyhow.

Before Rich joins in and we get a nice flamewar ;-), my final statement:
I also think, PAL is technologically superiore to "NeverTwicetheSameColour",
it has to be, since it came later. I'd expect the developers to get it
right the second time ;-), And it basically is NTSC with automatic hue
correction. Apart from the different frequencies, both systems are very
similar, just that phase-change-thing in PAL was a very good idea. :-)

> I also wouldn't consider "strange" frame rates to be a disadvantage of
> any sort.

The truth is: in europe, where we have 50Hz power supply, a Framerate of
anything other than 25fps would have been technologically impossible at
the time, tv was introduced - this was before 1950. There were no
switching power supplies at that time ;-) Since in the US, power is at
60Hz, a framerate of 30fps is logical. I don't know where the "1001" part
of the NTSC rate comes from (and i can't go online at the moment), i have
in mind that only video has this strange rate and broadcast has 30fps, but
am not sure. Anyway, even if you drop/duplicate one in 1000 frames when
capturing, i can't imagine it states much of a problem. I usually get
some dropped frames on analog capture due to my bad sources (old VHS)
anyway ;-)

So the framerates are a result of the power supply in the countries. What
bugs me more than the PAL/NTSC thing is SECAM, which was born only out of
political reasons, the strangest thing is the french "SECAM-west".......
but i better be quiet, i said i don't want to start a flamewar... :-)))

...and highspeed is no problem, there is also "-fps 24" in mplayer...

have fun

    Stefan

ans don't forget to insert additional ':-))' above.
 Stefan Seyfried, seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de