[MPlayer-users] Re: Mencoded Xvid AVIs are not playable under windows

guardian at skip.cz guardian at skip.cz
Thu Oct 16 21:46:47 CEST 2003

> Strange, I have transcoded many dv files to DivX5 with lavc under Linux
> for my Windows friend and they have all played back flawlessly with no
> crashes.
>
> Charles

Really? Could you please post here (or mail me) the working formula
which are you using? Such as: mencoder -oac xxxxxxx xx x x -ovc xxxx x x
xxxx....? Thank you, Guardian.

> Same here, in my experience ffmpegs mpeg4 is much more compatible than
> xvid, since there are so many different xvid builds for windows
> available. I've got quite some xvid encoded files that were encoded with
> one of the windows xvid builds that don't work with either xvid stable
> or xvid cvs in mplayer (they work fine with ffmpeg mpeg4 decoder). Same
> happened the other way around, files encoded with current official
> stable xvid (0.9.2) don't play correctly with some windows xvid decoder.
> ffmpegs mpeg4 encoder and decoder really seem to be the most compatible
> ones.

Yes, i try ffmpeg. I dedicated lots of time to mencoder and i will be
frustrated, when i discover that mencoder generates videos incompatible
with other platform. Theres something next ideas? Thank you.