[MPlayer-users] read mounted dvds and expected behavior (minor question, not a problem)

asdf asdf boggob23 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 05:57:30 CEST 2003

When I insert an encrypted DVD and do:
1. mount /dvd
2. head /dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
I get an i/o error and some i/o error in /var/log/kern.log

But if I do instead:
1. mplayer dvd://1
2. killall mplayer
3. mount /dvd
4. head /dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
I get the (expected) junk printed to stdout.

Is this expected or is the "mplayer" step necessary to read the *.VOB files?

I have searched without success the MPlayer FAQ's, ide-scsi docs, udf FAQs
and google for an answer to this, but without any luck. Any insights would
be appreciated.

—JT