[MPlayer-users] Comparison of different software scaler types

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Wed Oct 15 12:05:32 CEST 2003

Am Mittwoch, 15. Oktober 2003 02:05 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
> > - sws 0    produces acceptable results
> > - sws 1    produces blurred images

> At
> first glance it appears to be a bug that 1 blurs the image while 0
> doesn't (they're both bilinear), but in fact 0 is a hacked/optimized
> version that only does correct bilinear scaling for upscaling.

Maybe -sws 1 really has a bug. I compared Mplayer's bilinear and bicubic
scaling with Gimp. Bicubic looks very similar, but -sws 1 looks really
flat compared to gimp's bilinear filter.

I have made a gimp file with both versions of the png files, where you can
toggle the display of the mplayer image to show the differences.
-> http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/linear.xcf.tar.gz (600kb)

Matthias