[MPlayer-users] Alsa + 5.1 surround

Stoic at chello.nl Stoic at chello.nl
Wed Oct 15 10:20:48 CEST 2003

I am not sure about the 6 channels. All I can tell is that the video is encoded with DivX. How can I tell how many channels are supported? Does the following line may be tell that?

> > Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: Yes, CRC: No, emphasis: 0

In any case, does it mean that surround51 does not produce sound in the rear speakers, if the audio does not have 6 channels? If I compare that to windows, e.g., the same avi file (any avi file) does produce sound in the rear speakers, irrespective of the number of audio channels. Why does Linux/Alsa/Mplayer not do the same?

PS: I understand that without native 6 channel support, the rear speakers do not actually function as "rear sound". It is just that in windows I was used to hear sound from the rear speakers at all times :o).