[MPlayer-users] mencoder best web video codec

Marco Scoffier marco at metm.org
Tue Oct 14 14:41:51 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 07:33:31PM +0100, Graham Bleach wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:04:23PM -0400, marco at metm.org wrote:
> > I would like to present my movies online in a format which allows the
> > smallest download, best quality, is free of strange patents, and visible
> > on most computers.  This is alot to ask I know, but with mencoder and
> > with some amazing free-codecs I am most of the way there.
>
> You're in the same situation to me. Eventually I used MPEG1, as that produced
> the smallest file that would play on the Windows machine I borrowed to
> test this. Even then I have had complaints that the files won't play.

I imagine there are many people in our situation perhaps we can make a
"help-page" informative about libre codecs with links to how to get them
to play on non-libre systems.  Does one exist already? I wanted to do
this for my site, but I know very little about non-libre systems so I
thought I would ask first.

> The trouble is that Microsoft
<snip>

I need read no further.  Controls over content are dangerous, which is
why I think an informative help page, or some kind of collaborative
decision about the most logical 'libre' format for distributing video to
the internet is important.

--
Marco