[MPlayer-users] DivX/XviD qpel decoding

Tue Oct 14 13:02:58 CEST 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Jakub Misak wrote:

JM>I noticed that MPlayer with libavcodec can't properly decode video
JM>encoded with DivX 5.1 (possibly XviD, too) and Qpel. There are some
JM>slightly distorted "waves" in some parts of the picture, which
JM>disappear with the next keyframe. It's quite subtle and noticeable
JM>only in some particular places, but the artifacts are not there with
JM>the DivX 5.0.5 decoder.

I see those kind of distortions regular in the last few months, not only
on div5 with qpel, but even with some old nandub-encoded div3 files.
It's definitely libavcodec bug. I get rid of them by setting -vfm odivx
for that file, it has no problems.

I thought that this may be problem of libavcodec's error detecting and
fixing mechanism, so 'ec' and 'er' suboptions of lavdopts may help, but
never checked it. It's cvs and should be buggy, you know ;) Don't think
mplayer 0.90 has such problems.

--

Vladimir