[MPlayer-users] PSNR tests: mbd=2, mv0, trell, and cbp (and...

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Oct 14 13:01:43 CEST 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:04:44 +0300 (EEST)
Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi> wrote:
> >    and divx result looks much worse (encoded dvd movie usually looks
> >quite well with bitrate 1000, same resolution tv looks bad even with
> >2000
>
> Oh well, that explains why I need to use so ridiculously high bitrate
> (2000 kbit/s for 640x480, for unscaled 768x576 even that is too low).

You can get much better results.

First of all, hqdn3d works quite well (as has been said many times
here) to clean up the video to (both) make it look better, and far more
compressable.

The second thing I would recomend is blur.  I often use
'unsharp' with low values.  Most TV signals have all sorts of random
artifacts, and MPEG-4 (unfortunately) tries it's best to preserve every
one of them, rather than disregarding the artifacts. Unsharp can help a
lot, because it will throw away most extra info that doesn't belong in
the picture.

Finally,  using vhq (if you aren't) improves the quality far more than
just hqdn3d or unsharp can.

>From your bitrates, it sounds like you have rather noisy video, and you
just might do better to use MPEG1 (which disregards very fine details)
rather than MPEG4 (which uses extra bits to preserve the details of the
analog artifacts :-) ).