[MPlayer-users] No more "Falling back on trying to parse playlist" w/ mplayer-1.0pre2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Oct 14 03:44:52 CEST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:55:59AM +0200, Bas Nedermeijer wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2003 17:22, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 04:53:46PM +0200, Bas Nedermeijer wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > mplayer doesnt try anymore to process a file as a playlist. Normally i
> > > use .m3u files for this, but they arent working anymore. Is this "by
> > > design"? I did see the code for processing playlists still in the source.
> > > Hope it will be fixed, or is there some other way to play playlists?
> > > Anyway, tnx for this great player   :)
> >
> > For the time being, use -playlist. I disabled auto-fallback to
> > playlist because it was buggy (lots of non-playlist files that mplayer
> > didn't recognize were tried as playlist, making mplayer hang forever
> > rather than going on to the next file), and because I don't trust the
> > playlist parser to be secure (so I don't think it should be run on
> > arbitrary files unless the user knows it's a playlist and has verified
> > it).
>
> Ok, point taken, but is there also an option to enable easy in the source? I
> changed some stuff to no avail.  :)

You could edit mplayer.c and get rid of the #if 0 ... #endif around
the playlist fallback code.

> > Some developers have suggested adding it back optionally (e.g. an
> > enable-playlist-fallback option you could put in your config file or
> > on the command line) or fixing the playlist parser. Either solution is
> > acceptable to me.
>
> Yes, that would be a nice option, because i select movies with a
> remote-control through the menu, and creating a playlist.m3u.conf (with the
> option playlist=yes) doesnt seem to help. Most movies i watch consist of
> multiple files, so using a playlist was kinda neat   :P

I agree it would be useful. The only reason I disabled it was that the
buggy fallback code was actually breaking things in the case where
your file wasn't actually a playlist. Once I have some time I'll make
an option to reenable it.

Rich