[MPlayer-users] Re: mpeg's and inverse telecine question

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 13 22:04:56 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:27:44AM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >MPlayer's "detc": Mostly works and fairly tolerant of noise. But it
> >MPlayer's "ivtc": Robust against telecine weirdness (non-2:3 patterns)
> >MPlayer's "pullup": By far the best algorithm of the three, and I
>
> PAL telecine is 2:2 as far as I know, and totally different from
> NTSC telecine. Are these options only for NTSC, and if so, could
> it please be documented!

I've never heard PAL pulldown called "telecine". In any case, pullup
is designed to handle ANY form of pulldown, whether it's 2:2 PAL, 2:3
NTSC, 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 PAL, or whatever. Of course for pure 2:2
content, no pulldown reversal is required unless the phase is
backwards, since the fields already line up to give you progressive
frames with no rearrangement.

Regarding the others: detc will NOT work with PAL pulldown unless you
get very lucky. ivtc might work (as long as you don't enable forced
dropping with ivtc=1) with either type of PAL pulldown.

Rich