[MPlayer-users] How to encode MPEG-2 at a fixed rate with mencoder?

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Mon Oct 13 14:58:21 CEST 2003

I would like to encode with mencoder using the FFmpeg mpeg2video codec,
with a bitrate of 2500 kbit/s (SVCD spec). When vbitrate=2500 is fed to
lavcodec, part of the movie has always a much higher rate (about 5000
kbps) which is much too high.
I tried several combinations of the lavcodec rate options, but without
success so far. The best was to specify a significantly lower rate to
have (most of) the stream peak at 2500 kbit/s.
Is this issue solvable, or should I ask for help on the FFmpeg mailing list?

Levente

PS: I know of mpeg2enc, but would like to avoid it, it produces awk
results on my Hi8-captured videos.