[MPlayer-users] Cutting avis with ss and endpos

Lehmeier Michael m_lehmeier at gmx.de
Mon Oct 13 12:41:37 CEST 2003

Hi!

I'm new to record AVIs and further encode them to mpeg.
I had a tool to cut mpegs, but so far I have not found a tool to cut
AVIs (mpeg4) on linux.

So I thought I try the obvious way.
I play with the options -ss and -frames.
Why doesn't the mplayer have the -endpos option?
Not really important but I wonder.

Anyway, the problem is that the -ss option has a tolerance for some ten
seconds, which makes it totally unsuitable for cutting.

Just to test the -ss option I then used it on a ripped VCD mpeg file
(not a self-made one) there was no tolerance but the time scaled wrong,
about 8 minutes in 40 minutes of movie.
I jump to -ss 00:40:00 and end up in minute 32.

The way I see it, -ss is unusable for cutting my AVIs and
trial-and-error for VCDs. I tried -idx, it didn't help. It didn't even
scan the avi.

While I don't know if this situation is in any way salvagable I would
like to know why all of this happens and if I do anything fundamentally
wrong.

Thanks.
--
Lehmeier Michael <m_lehmeier at gmx.de>