[MPlayer-users] Ignored crash/oddity reports

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 00:20:55 CEST 2003

Over the course of time, I have sent in at least three bug reports of
files which crash MPlayer.

The first one got a response; however, the problem had already been
pointed out by someone else, and was being fixed almost simultaneously
with my report.

The others have received no notice whatsoever. On the principle that a
consistent crash is a serious problem, I find this rather surprising and
somewhat distressing.

One of the problems appears to have been fixed. I have no idea when,
although occasional tests over time have resulted in the same crash;
however, playing the file with Monday's CVS version of MPlayer does not
appear to have a problem. The other problem file, however, played with
the same version, still crashes at the same point as ever.

More recently, I have mentioned that I have a file which is reported to
play without problems under Windows, but which comes up as severely
broken when I try to seek using MPlayer. This also has received no
response; given the oddity of the behaviour I've observed in the matter,
I find this equally surprising and distressing.

Even leaving aside the "MPlayer chokes on this but Windows players don't
seem to" question, what does it mean when crash-causing-bug reports are
completely ignored - in a forum which is the defined place where such
reports are supposed to be sent?

--
       The Wanderer