[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD-Audio support

Guillaume Cocatre-Zilgien ml at skamp.net
Tue Oct 7 19:49:43 CEST 2003

Alban Bedel wrote:

> Have you tried to play title 2 and 3 ? I supose one of them is the
> audio-only part. If not then it's more like a bug or missing feature
> from libdvdread.

Title 2 is a video with the first audio track. Title 3 is the logo
animation of the records company. I really get the video part only,
whichever title I'm playing.

> I don't know what you exactly mean. I suppose 24bit samples encoded at
> 96 or 192kbps. But with wich codec ? If it's AC3 or PCM that shouldn't
> be a problem.

24/96 is the ususal notation to express a sampling of 24 bits and a
sample rate of 96 KHz.

Andreas Lange wrote:
 > doesn't dvd-audio have a new more secure encryption that was
 > introduced after the css "protection" was broken?

 From the DVD FAQ:
"DVD audio is copyright protected by an embedded signaling or digital
watermark feature. This uses signal processing technology to apply a
digital signature and optional encryption keys to the audio in the form
of supposedly inaudible noise so that new equipment will recognize
copied audio and refuse to play it."
http://docs.skamp.net/digital/dvdfaq.html#1.12

"LPCM is mandatory in DVD-Audio discs [...] The DVD Forum's Working
Group for audio (WG4) decided to include lossless compression, and on
August 5, 1998 approved Meridian's MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing)
scheme, licensed by Dolby. [...] Other audio formats of DVD-Video (Dolby
Digital, MPEG audio, and DTS, described below) are optional on DVD-Audio
discs, although Dolby Digital is required for audio content that has
associated video."
http://docs.skamp.net/digital/dvdfaq.html#3.6.1

Some additional infos:
http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq/dvd-audio/faq_1.htm