[MPlayer-users] video buffer full

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 7 02:11:03 CEST 2003

I'd like to record a broadcast signal to a file. So I have been reading
and looking about and have come up with the following command line:

mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:norm=ntsc -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=350 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=48
-sws 1 -o output.avi

This works great for about 40 seconds and then the following message
scrolls repeatedly up my screen.

video buffer full - dropping frame

At this point I interrupt the mencoder. The output file is about 2GB and
looks fine. I see that my disk activity is not very high during the
process, so I doubt it is my disk write rate that is the bottleneck. I
cannot do multiple passes as I am recording live TV broadcasts.

So what can i do to up the frame/audio processing rate? Being a novice,
I am not sure what dials to tweak to reduce the load on my cpu and
eliminate the bottleneck. Lower quality is just fine. I just want to
recognize enough to get the storyline.

I have a 800MHz athalon with 256MB ram (the max). I know this is not
much (these days) but that is all I have right now.

Thanks

Phil