[MPlayer-users] What might be causing a hue shift?

Joseph N. Hall joseph at 5sigma.com
Sun Oct 5 09:37:11 CEST 2003

Somewhere in the process of decoding MPEG2, manipulating it
as HuffYUV for a while, and reencoding it, my subject
is taking on a greenish (or yellowish) cast.  What was a
neutral cool bluish gray on the way in comes out a little
greenish.

The original MPEG seems fine.  It is captured using a Panasonic
E50 and I can A-B it with the source in realtime and there is
no significant hue shift.  When I look at the .VRO files on
my PC there is an obvious hue shift.  But of course that
could be just the monitor.  It looks the same on my TV through
my scan converter, but my current scan converter is a POS so
I don't really care about that.

Regardless, when all is said and done, what comes out isn't
quite the same color as what went in.  Could it be the MPEG2
decoder itself?

Going back to one of my earlier messages, it would be handy
if there were a software hue control, but aside from
separate channel gamma controls, I don't see anything like
that. So even if I wanted to just change the hue and not
worry about why, I couldn't do that without using some
other tool.

  -joseph