[MPlayer-users] Re: vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Thu Oct 2 16:26:53 CEST 2003

Kalin Mintchev wrote:

> > What does 'freezes all the time' mean?
> it freezes at certain frames for a few seconds where there are more colors
> to decode - like when people move... and when it doesn't it's all
> "pixelated"... the same video plays fine on the OSX mplayer on a g4 400
> mac - without any problems - sound or video...

Do you use -framedrop or -hardframedrop?
Does it play smoothly with -nosound -noframedrop?
It may be a rm/qt related problem, I'd recommend trying an avi first.

> > What are the (complete!) mplayer messages?

> here it is:
[...]
It's missing the important messages.
Please read http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/en/bugreports.html .

Just use (I hereby assume you use bash as your shell)
mplayer $your_parameters 2>&1 | tee mplayer.log
Adding the -v switch is a good idea for extra verbosity.

Please do this for "-vo xv -nosound" and it should contain enough
information to see why it "couldn't open the X11 display".

For the segmentation fault (Signal 11) it would be nice if you can
recompile mplayer with ./configure --enable-debug=3 , start it with
gdb mplayer
set args $your_parameters
run

And when it segfaulted and you're back in gdb, type "bt" (for stack
backtrace).

The mplayer.log also should contain the mplayer version you are using,
which you have not specified as far as I can see.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits