[MPlayer-users] Digital camcoder

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sat Nov 29 03:36:36 CET 2003

> So what goes via USB? Some kind of control?

I have a Sony digital video camera, and it has a still shot capability (i.e. a
digital still camera built in.)  You transfer the photos over the USB port
(you actually end up mounting the memory stick in your filesystem, like any
other removable device.)

I did read somewhere that some cameras can now stream the video over USB, but
if that's true the quality would be no better than your average webcam, since
USB is so slow.

> > I have tried to 'play' video on-the-fly getting it from the ieee1394, and,
> > while I could do it with 'playdv' from dvlib, I was not able to do it with
> > mplayer, but perhaps it's possible now. If not, you can always send a bug
> > report.

You can now play the video on-the-fly with mplayer, my camera supports
analogue -> digital on-the-fly conversion, so I was using this and mplayer to
watch analogue TV on the computer in real time.

Cheers,
Adam.