[MPlayer-users] Digital camcoder

Andreu Escudero lemon at canuda.net
Fri Nov 28 17:45:54 CET 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:36:05 +0100 (CET), Grzegorz Borowiak wrote
> Ehlo!
>
> I'm about to buy a digital camcoder. I consider mainly Sony's products
> (I need their night shot feature). Is this possible to connect
> camcoder to PC and run mencoder in such way that it would perform on-
> the-fly encoding what camera sends through USB? Or should I pull the
> whole uncompressed movie through USB to disk and then encode?
Both things are impossible as camcorders don't send video via USB, but via
ieee1394.
I have tried to 'play' video on-the-fly getting it from the ieee1394, and,
while I could do it with 'playdv' from dvlib, I was not able to do it with
mplayer, but perhaps it's possible now. If not, you can always send a bug
report.
Getting the video (of course not via USB) and after that encoding it works
without problems.

Canuda Dorf auf die Berge Projekt (http://canuda.net)
Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)