[MPlayer-users] monitor frequencies

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at iol.pt
Thu Nov 27 11:14:50 CET 2003

 Hi, list.

 I've been trying to get "mplayer -vo vesa" to output straight to a television set through an RGB cable (VGA to SCART). I don't want to use Composite Video or S-Video out, I don't have X on this machine, and vesa is the only way to get a decent framerate on this 233MHz system.

 This setup works perfectly fine with SVGATextMode - great looking picture, rock solid and extra crisp on my TV.

 But when I try to do the same with mplayer (using -monitor_dotclock, -monitor_hfreq, -monitor_vfreq), my parameters always get mangled by the General Timing Formula (libvo/gtf.c) and rejected by the vesa driver (libvo/vo_vesa.c). Is mplayer's GTF working right? It looks like it does too many roundings and a lot of precision is lost on the way, especially because it is iterative...

 Anyone know of anyone that has tried to coerce mplayer into playing on a fixed frequency monitor (like a tv)?

 Thanx.