[MPlayer-users] XvMC question

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 24 22:00:37 CET 2003

Quoting D Richard Felker III (dalias at aerifal.cx):
> It's a matter of "can not be done" as in the hardware specifically
> does not support it. Remember, the hardware is made for sheep who want
> to play dvds rather than for people who want to download free movies.
>
> Actually there are some potential hacks that may allow simple mpeg4
> files ("divx4" limits) to be played with the current hardware, but
> they're complicated to do.

My understanding from reading this thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=1021820061.3281.75732.camel%40tibook&rnum=1

was that XvMC provided asynchronous double-buffering facilities that would
benefit any codec by allowing the CPU to start processing the next frame
before the DMA for the previous frame was complete. Is this incorrect?

Not that it does me much good. I spent an hour investigating XvMC and
recompiling MPlayer before finding the following line in NVidia's README:

This release includes support for the X-Video Motion Compensation (XvMC)
version 1.0 API on GeForce4 and GeForce FX products only.

I have a GeForce2 MX. D'oh!

Adam Rice

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England