[MPlayer-users] show interlaced/progressive info..

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Nov 24 21:53:09 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:23:19AM +0200, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
> >It would be nice if mplayer would print if the input video is interlaced or
> >progressive.. or is there already some option that does this (I couldn't
> >find).
>
> The problem is that for non-moving images it is impossible to say
> whether the image is interlaced or not. For moving images its easier
> but you can never be sure, you can at most say that at xx % probability
> it's interlaced.
>
> So there really isn't an algoritmic way to find out whether a movie is
> interlaced or not. Of course it would be possible to do some probability
> estimation... just send the patch ;)

Yes, I understand it's very difficult to determine if the *video* is
interlaced or not..

I meant that mplayer would print if the input stream consists of fields..
for example mpeg2 can be interlaced or progressive..

also at least dv avi is interlaced usually.. while mpeg1 and mpeg4
(divx/xvid) is usually progressive.

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .