MPlayer standards - was Re: [MPlayer-users] advice on mencoder options

anton anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Fri Nov 21 07:51:21 CET 2003

>Using 'presets' is not a bad idea, and probably most people have had
>this thought at some point. There's nothing demeaning in such a feature.
>For features where it can be proven that setting A is better than
>setting B, there could definitively be an option that switched on "all
>the goodies" without actually changing the compatibility. Decision
>algorithms, for instance. And who better to set up such presets than the
>developers. A few such presets would be helpful for us with little or no
>insight into the theories of image/video compression and mpeg
>standards... And then this mailing list wouldn't get hit by this subject
>"every time" someone starts using mencoder for the first time...

but as it stands it gets hit by geezers like me who want the preset
"vhq" (i completely agree about not reusing vhq, but seeing as we
started...), and have to try and work it out by ourselves. While I have
an interest and do indeed want to know lots, many, many people do not.
That I fear is the difference between the Linux and 'Doze worlds. Is the
problem not wanting too many people in our exclusive club (of people
able to get good results with free software)? Is there not a little 'ye
great unworthy' here? Do only people who spend far too much time in
front of a box (me probably 12hrs+ p/d) get to use the best software?
Let the flames begin.
Anton
:-)