[MPlayer-users] advice on mencoder options

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Nov 18 11:41:25 CET 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, anton wrote:

>best scaling to use? I see there is -vf scale=... but there is also -x,
>-y and -xy, and afaict this can be used in tandem -zoom. The Digilander
>artiticle also mentions that -sws should be used to improve the quality

I recommend using just -vf scale=.. first. Then you can try improving
the result with -sws if you like experimenting, but the other options
probably aren't necessary at least for encoding.

>any point? Can I just scale to 640:360, regardless of whether the source

I have still no comment about aspect ratio, but encoded image size
should be an integer multiple of 16. 360/16=22.5 which is not multiple of
16, try 352=22*16 or 368=23*16.