[MPlayer-users] advice on mencoder options

anton anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Tue Nov 18 06:31:11 CET 2003

Thanks heaps so far, just a few more qs...
OK, so lets say I'm a stingy B'stard and I want to scale. What is the
best scaling to use? I see there is -vf scale=... but there is also -x,
-y and -xy, and afaict this can be used in tandem -zoom. The Digilander
artiticle also mentions that -sws should be used to improve the quality
of the scale. Frankly I'm lost. I would have thought that there would
have been a good reason to keep the aspect ratio, but that is on the
assumption that a movie is just frames full of pixels one after another,
which .avi and .mpeg are clearly not. I used to use vidomi and that had
an option of scaling by percent. I thought that that is what the -xy
did, but that was from reading the man pages from 0.90 or 0.91. 1.0pre2
baffles me! Is there an equivalent to scaling by percent? If so is there
any point? Can I just scale to 640:360, regardless of whether the source
is 4:3 or widescreen? I realise I can show the movie in other aspects so
maybe I should just do my own percent scale? (remembering to leave it at
/16...)
This is genuinely a case of me being a dumbarse newbie, and not lazy. I
have read all I can find...
Thanks again.
Anton