[MPlayer-users] advice on mencoder options

HR haavroed at online.no
Sun Nov 16 02:04:56 CET 2003

[...]
> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
[...]

q reference: http://lame.sourceforge.net/doc/html/switchs.html#V

>        aq=<0-9>
>               algorithmic quality (0-best/slowest, 9-worst/fastest)

aq reference: http://lame.sourceforge.net/doc/html/switchs.html#q

Don't mind the confusion of the parameter names; I didn't make the
confusion, and I think I've got it right. Read the other lame
documentation too - I don't know anything that isn't in the docs.

The lame docs state that the file size is totally unpredictable when
using vbr. However, for any practical purposes (ie. encoding the audio
of a DVD movie), the size is predictable to well within +- 10%, which is
good enough for targeting an approx average bitrate. q=6 has kept the
abr in the 100-115 range for a variety of my movie encodings (not
concerts or musicals, but plain movies).

Really *explaining* the algorithm quality is beyond my capability, and
probably holds only a theoretical interest for acoustics professionals.
aq=2 is recommended by the lame project. If you don't care about speed,
then aq=0 probably works just fine, and might even improve quality.

HR